Boutique hotel style accommodation, resort-style grounds, activities for all tastes!
Sunset View Lodge is a boutique hotel accommodation where there are plenty of things to do in the rural-beach setting where the ocean laps the land.
You’ll never be short of activities either on or near the beach, just a 10-minute walk or short drive away.
- Baylys Beach Horse Treks offer the unrivalled sensation of a tranquil trek along the longest drivable and rideable beach in New Zealand.
- A game of golf can be arranged for you at the Northern Wairoa Golf Club less than 600 metres away – and Sunset View Lodge even has two sets of clubs for guest’s personal use.
- Drive through to Dargaville and head south on State Highway 12 and you can climb one of two stunning volcanic mountains known as Tokatoka and Maungaraho on Mititai Road or visit the Kauri Museum at Matakohe.
- Other attractions in and around Dargaville include the Dargaville Museum, The Kumara Box, the scenic Rail Cart through the Tangowahine Valley, or spend a day learning to turn wood at the Woodturners Kauri Gallery in Dargaville. We can also arrange bookings for you.
- The nearby Trounson Kauri Park and Waipoua Forest offer the country’s largest known tree (Tane Mahuta) up the northern end of State Highway 12, and Nelson’s Kaihu Kauri Gum store.
- The pristine protected Kai Iwi Lakes are bowls of sand filled with 100 percent fresh water, the largest dune lakes in NZ – ideal for swimming and snorkelling, or a walk around the lakes. Kayaks and mountain bikes can be hired in the summer.
- Walk the beach and experience the remote, untouched and vastness of this area and incredible sand dunes.
- Dining options include Sharkeys in Baylys Beach, and we’ll always let you know the best options for eating out each night in Dargaville.